True Daily Service: Simple As Can Be


For the past 6-7 weeks, Justin and I have participated in a Self-Reliance course held by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Each lesson includes a "My Foundation" principle which links an aspect of self-reliance back to the gospel principles.

This week as we discussed managing our time, I was inspired to include service in my daily to-do list. It's an idea that I haven't been able to shake and have tried to include in my daily life throughout this week. Well, this was especially on my mind this morning as I studied my scriptures. I began by reading 1 Nephi 2 where Lehi is commanded to leave Jerusalem with his family. 

I thought what a sacrifice this likely was for Lehi and his family to leave behind all of their belongings, their friends, their lives and immediately obey the commandment from the Lord. Then I thought, what a service Lehi did in directing his family away from Jerusalem, which was soon to be destroyed. 

Often times service to others comes as a sacrifice - you give up time to help someone move, you give up money to provide a meal for another family, or you give up an activity you'd like to do in order to serve. 

But it DOESN'T always involve a sacrifice. 

Service can be as simple as a text to say hello. A friendly smile. Or a plate of cookies randomly brought to a neighbor. Service can be in the form of helping someone move or sharing a thought that moves someone spiritually. 

These simple acts of service are everywhere for us to actively take part in. And often times we may even be the recipients of such acts and not even be aware. 

I've been blessed with some simple, yet very strengthening (and needed) acts of service. 

The husband who let me sleep in this morning when I wasn't feeling well, who lets me jabber on for hours about my day because I've been alone, who washes the dishes after dinner and tells me to sit, who plays with Lucy because I've been entertaining her all day.

The sisters who give me sound advice about what's happening to my body during pregnancy and share their experiences with me to help ease my nerves. 

The prenatal instructor at the hospital who takes a few hours each week to teach me about labor and delivery so I know what to expect. 

The ward member whose name I can't quite recall who told me my little bump gets cuter every week.

The friends I made in Virginia who keep in contact - now spread all across the country - to help me feel connected to that life that I loved so much. 

And the friends I've made in Vernal who have invited me to park days and game nights, mommy lunches and bunco groups so that I feel like I have a place here now. 

In the end, it doesn't really matter what you do for another person. True service, no matter what it is, comes from your heart. 

What small acts of service have you been touched by?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church History in Review: Primary Jeopardy Game

Coming Closer to Christ in 30 Days (Part 1)

What Life's All About...